Sunday, November 6, 2011

I don't build software I create it

This title might seem like pretensious nonsense to some or that I'm splitting hairs, but bear with me and you can tell me whether it is/I am in comments below.

I'm a great believer that the words we use form the way we think about things. With that in mind, I want to state that I don't build software, I create it, I write it, I design it.

I use these words to describe an activity that is extremely creative. We don't lay down bricks and mortar to a predefined pattern or build a car which has already been designed and tested, we take ideas from our clients and turn them into reality.

I don't see creating software as construction, it has more in common with product design, and research and development.

To me when looking at a well designed, highly maintenable application I see the beauty, creativity and art behind it.

Developers themselves are generally creative people. How many do you know that play music, write books, do photography, etc?

For a long time software has been stuck in a construction metaphor. I think it's time to move on.

1 comment:

  1. Yes. Agreed.

    I worked in the software dept in an engineering firm. Upper management tried to apply engineering project methodologies to our software process. But, as you point out, building a road has little in common with creating software.

    Everyone ended up frustrated.

    ReplyDelete